Design and Manufacturing Secrets of Chengdu 2021 FISU Games Torch
"Rong Huo", the torch of the Chengdu 2021 FISU World University Games (Chengdu 2021 FISU Games), was officially unveiled for the first time at the Jinsha Site Museum on the night of 31 August. How does the torch name "Rong Huo" come from? What does the design represent? Are there any highlights in the manufacturing process? Let's find the answers.
The Chengdu 2021 FISU Games torch "Rong Huo" (meaning the Chengdu Flame) uses Chengdu's nickname "Rong" and can be interpreted as "harmony" in Chengdu dialect.
The torch uses the four theme colours of the Chengdu 2021 FISU Games to reflect the "sustainable, smart, spirited, and sharing" spirit of the Games.
The front of the torch features the globally recognised IP and Sichuan's "living fossil" - the giant panda and embodies a culture of passion, optimism, and inclusiveness.
The top of the torch features Chengdu's city logo and a symbol of Chinese cultural heritage - the Golden Sun Bird, which soars through flames in an unwavering pursuit of the light.
The torch's silhouette resembles the Bronze Standing Figure from the Sanxingdui Ruins site and pays homage to the ancient Shu civilisation.
The mesh near the top takes the shape of bamboo leaves, which also serves to complement the panda design.
The select elements from Chinese culture, combined with innovative designs and engineering techniques, lend the torch stylish elegance and enduring class.
Torch research and manufacturing
In January 2021, the 31st Institute of China Aerospace Science and Industry Corporation Limited (CASIC) successfully became a bid winner in the tender for the torch research project of the Chengdu 2021 FISU Games. The research project of the torch was based on top technologies in the torch making field which were applied to the torch, lantern, firelighter and cauldron manufacturing for the Beijing 2008 Summer Olympics. These highest international technologies were developed by the team led by Liu Xingzhou, an academician of the Chinese Academy of Engineering and pioneer of the scramjet technology. The project led by excellent researchers Liu Xiaoyong and Wang Yanwen aims to improve the stability and greenness of the combustion process of the torch.
The project team has implemented the slogan of "Chengdu Makes Dreams Come True" in the whole process. Highlights in the research mainly consist of the following aspects.
(1) Stable combustion: The project team, on the basis of aero engine technologies, has tapped into a combustion technology program for the torch and its auxiliary products to ensure the stability and greenness of the combustion process. Also, it has innovatively used biomass propane as the torch fuel and optimised processes of fuel injection and air mixing based on the shape characteristics of the torch, so as to make the bright yellow flame dance elegantly.
(2) Recycled materials: The torch and its auxiliary products are all made from recycled materials.
(3) Green and environmentally-friendly manufacturing: Special crafts are applied to the torch surface to make it colourful and environmentally-friendly.
(4) Intelligent additive manufacturing: 3D additive manufacturing is adopted in the torch shape manufacturing process, which presents smart technology.
(5) Dynamic innovation: Based on the world-leading torch research achievements made during the Beijing 2008 Summer Olympics, the project team has integrated the features of the 2010 FISU Games torch and its auxiliary products and has innovated the torch design and manufacturing processes. There comes a brand-new torch for the Chengdu 2021 FISU Games.
(6) Sharing: The application of aero engine technologies to the torch design proves that military technological achievements can be made available for civilian use.